Posted on Dec 9, 2023 at 4:03 pm by Oliver C
Winter is a difficult season for our bird friends, as food becomes scarce. It is therefore crucial to provide them with help so that they can survive this freezing period. However, it is not enough to simply place seeds on your balcony or in your garden.
Table of Contents
The right actions to help birds in winter
Now that you know the mistakes to avoid, here are some practical tips for feeding birds during winter:
Offering food that meets the needs of birds
It is essential to offer a variety of foods that will provide the energy and nutrients necessary for birds to face the cold. You can provide them with:
- Seeds such as sunflower, millet, oats, and wheat
- Dried fruits such as grapes or apricots
- Fat balls that do not contain bread crumbs. Bread should be avoided when feeding birds, as it can be harmful to their health and does not meet their specific nutritional needs.
Install suitable and secure feeders
Make sure to install specific feeders that are suitable for the different types of birds that inhabit your environment. There are several models of feeders available on the market. Here are some suggestions:
- Tray feeder: ideal for large birds that cannot access other types of feeders
- Perch feeder: perfect for small and medium-sized birds that can perch on a narrow perch
- Silo feeder: this feeder allows you to offer bulk seeds and reduces waste
Regularly monitor the condition of the food and feeders
It is essential to ensure that the food offered remains clean, dry, and in sufficient quantity. Also, remember to regularly clean the feeders to prevent the spread of diseases.
Also consider water
Birds need to drink even when it is cold. Provide them with a birdbath or a simple container with fresh water and change it regularly. Make sure the water does not freeze by using a heated saucer, for example.
Common mistakes when feeding birds in winter
Here are some common mistakes that can be made when trying to help birds during winter:
- Using unsuitable food: Make sure to offer birds food that is suitable for their needs and of good quality. Avoid foods that are too wet, salty, sweet, or fatty. Also, make sure to offer them a variety of seeds.
- Feeding birds only when it snows: Birds need help throughout the winter, even when the weather conditions are mild. Therefore, make sure to provide them with food regularly, without interruption.
- Placing food near dangerous areas for birds: It is essential to ensure that feeders are not placed too close to bushes and other hiding places preferred by predators. This way, you will protect the birds from attacks by cats or other animals.
To help our bird friends during winter, it is crucial to choose the right food to offer, install suitable and secure feeders, and ensure their cleanliness. Don’t forget to provide drinkable water as well. By following these tips, you will contribute to the well-being of birds during this difficult period and help them face the rigors of winter.