Posted on Dec 7, 2023 at 6:02 pm by James T
Faced with the rising energy prices, many households are opting for wood pellets as an ecological and economical alternative.
Table of Contents
Storage of pellets
To ensure proper storage of pellets, the first step is to choose a suitable place to store them. Indeed, pellets are sensitive to water and can swell or be prone to mold formation if exposed to moisture.
- Avoid areas prone to flooding: pellets should be kept away from flood-prone areas or areas where rainwater flows.
- Well-ventilated area: to prevent mold growth due to excessive humidity, an airy space is preferable to a confined environment.
- Hard and flat surface: choose a stable floor free of debris that could weaken the pellet bags over time.
- Avoid immediate proximity to a source of moisture, such as a pond or a pool.
By taking care to stack the bags on pallets to avoid direct contact with the ground and promote better air circulation between the bags, you are implementing an ideal approach for the storage of wood pellets, whether they are kept indoors or outdoors.
This method not only guarantees the preservation of their quality, but also optimal use of this ecological and renewable fuel to heat your home, throughout the year and from one season to another.
Tips to preserve the integrity of the bags:
- Do not stack too many bags on top of each other, as this could exert excessive pressure on those at the bottom of the stack and damage them.
- Regularly check the condition of the bags and replace those showing signs of weakness.
- If possible, invest in waterproof covers or use airtight containers to further reduce the risks associated with moisture and rodents.
Respect the lifespan of pellets for optimal use
Once precautions have been taken to ensure proper storage, it is also important to respect the lifespan of the pellets in order to make the most of them.
How to extend the lifespan of pellets:
- Follow the storage advice provided by the manufacturer on the product packaging.
- Regularly check the condition of the pellets for any mold or moisture problems.
- Prioritize the use of older pellets first: organize your stock in a way that always gives you access to the oldest bags first. This will help you avoid unpleasant surprises such as shortages or price increases and allow you to peacefully enjoy efficient and sustainable heat thanks to pellet boilers.
Can pellets from the previous season be used?
Yes, you can make use of pellets from the previous season, provided they are stored correctly to preserve their quality. The article suggests various strategies for optimal storage, such as using a dry and protected place, protecting the pellet bags, and respecting the recommended lifespan, usually 2 to 3 years maximum. By following these recommendations, you have the opportunity to reuse pellets from the previous season while maintaining their effectiveness as an ecological and renewable heating source for your home.
Manage your stock intelligently to fully benefit from the energy of wood pellets
By applying these tips, you ensure optimal preservation of your wood pellets and can fully enjoy their energy potential. It is also wise to regularly monitor the condition of your stock to detect any anomalies and take appropriate action.
Finally, consider adapting your stock according to your actual needs and anticipating any seasonal variations in consumption. This way, you can enjoy pleasant and environmentally friendly heat throughout the year, thanks to the clever use of your pellets.