Posted on Dec 12, 2023 at 8:04 am by James T
The arrival of autumn is often synonymous with a spider invasion in our homes. For those who dread these encounters with these small eight-legged creatures, here is a homemade recipe to keep them away, validated by experts.
Table of Contents
Why do spiders invade our homes?
As the cold approaches, spiders seek a warm place sheltered from predators to survive. Our homes then become perfect refuges for these little animals. That is why you are more likely to come across their path more frequently during this season.
Tips to keep spiders away
In addition to this natural recipe, here are some other tips to avoid the presence of spiders in your home:
- Keep your interior clean: spiders (and their prey) are attracted to dirt and neglected corners. Make sure to dust regularly and clean hard-to-reach corners. It is natural for some people to consider using a vacuum cleaner to catch spiders, but always take the time to inform yourself before taking action.
- Limit food sources: for a spider to establish its webs in your home, it needs prey to devour. By fighting against flying and crawling insects that invade your interior, you will send a clear signal to spiders.
- Install mosquito nets: a physical barrier can also discourage these little visitors. A fine mesh securely attached to your doors and windows will deter most arachnids from venturing further into your home.
- Use natural repellents: Some plants, such as lavender, mint, and eucalyptus, have odors that spiders hate. Plant them in your garden or place bouquets of these dried plants indoors to deter spiders.
- Use white vinegar: Mix white vinegar with water in a spray bottle and spray this solution in corners, cracks, and other areas prone to spider entry. Vinegar has a strong odor that repels them.
- Store firewood outside: If you have firewood, keep it outside the house. Spiders like to hide in wood and can thus enter your home.
- Seal cracks and openings: Regularly inspect your home for cracks, holes, and openings through which spiders can enter. Use caulk or putty to seal them effectively.
A natural and effective recipe to repel spiders
Recent research has shown that certain essential oils, such as peppermint oil and horse chestnut oil, are effective in repelling spiders, as evidenced by a study revealed in 2018 in the field of economic entomology.
Here is the recipe to make:
- Fill a spray bottle with water;
- Add 20 drops of peppermint essential oil;
- Also add 20 drops of horse chestnut essential oil;
- Close the bottle and shake well to mix the ingredients.
Then simply spray this mixture in strategic places in your home: entrances, windows, dark corners, etc. Spiders should thus keep their distance and avoid your interior.
Be careful when using essential oils with pets
However, it is essential to specify that certain essential oils can be harmful to our animal friends. Indeed, dogs and cats are particularly sensitive to these substances and can develop allergic or toxic reactions following prolonged exposure.
It is therefore advisable not to use this tip if you have a pet, or at least take precautions to minimize the risks.
By following these recommendations and using this natural recipe based on essential oils, you should succeed in keeping spiders away from your home. This will allow you to have a more serene autumn without any unwanted surprises.