Posted on Dec 10, 2023 at 10:03 am by Oliver C
Cold drafts are not only unpleasant, but they can also have an impact on the thermal comfort of your home and your heating bills.
Table of Contents
Why look for sources of drafts?
Identifying the sources of drafts is essential if you want to improve the insulation of your home and reduce your heating costs. Cold air infiltrations can come from several places: roof, walls, kitchen hood, windows, etc.
Furthermore, it is important to note that drafts can also facilitate the entry of lightning into your home during a storm, which poses a danger to occupants.
How to detect drafts?
Here are three methods to identify air leaks in your home:
- Light a candle and move around near the strategic points mentioned earlier. The movement of the flame will indicate the areas where air is passing through.
- Look for spider webs, which are an excellent indicator of the presence of drafts.
- Pass your hand near sensitive points to try to locate the source of the cold air.
If these methods are not sufficient, it is recommended to seek the help of a professional to conduct a diagnosis and propose solutions adapted to your situation.
Simple actions to limit heat loss while waiting for repairs
While waiting to make these improvements, you can implement a few simple measures to minimize heat loss in your home:
- Close your shutters or blinds at night to create an additional barrier against the cold.
- Install door draft stoppers on poorly insulated openings to limit air infiltration.
- Equip your windows with thick curtains to enhance their thermal insulation.
What solutions to stop drafts?
According to the professional’s diagnosis, several repairs can be undertaken to eliminate drafts:
- Roof renovation: replacement of missing or damaged tiles
- Insulation of interior walls with glass wool or sheep wool
- Insulation of lost or converted attic spaces with rolls of glass wool. Don’t forget to consider the insulation of your Velux window, which is equally important for enhancing energy efficiency and the comfort of your home.
- Replacement of old windows or repair of faulty seals
- Replacement of old doors with thermally and acoustically more efficient models
- Installation of a backdraft valve on the kitchen hood
- Insulation of electrical outlets with glass wool
- Filling cracks and holes in walls with putty
Searching for and eliminating drafts in your home improves your comfort, reduces your heating expenses, and preserves the environment.
Do not hesitate to seek the assistance of a professional for a customized diagnosis and advice to make your home more pleasant and energy-efficient.